Could you be New Music USA’s next Communications Director?
PDF job description available here.
New Music USA is seeking an exceptional Communications Director who will join our organization during an exciting phase of our development. This year we are delivering a new strategic plan and furthering our implementation of new artist development programs. We will also begin celebrating the 10th anniversary of the merger between Meet the Composer and American Music Center, which established New Music USA. The Communications Director will play an active role in these transformative activities, helping New Music USA to tell its story, build its profile, and extend its impact as a treasured national resource for the whole new music community.
New Music USA supports the sounds of tomorrow by nurturing the creation, performance, and enjoyment of new music for adventurous listeners in the US and beyond. We empower and connect US-based music makers, organizations, and audiences by providing funding through our Grants; fostering new connections through our programs; and deepening knowledge through our online magazine, NewMusicBox, and our work as an advocate for the field. New Music USA works in collaboration with the music community in response to evolving needs and to amplify the diverse voices of music creators. We envision a thriving and equitable ecosystem for new music throughout the United States.
The Communications Director will develop and implement a comprehensive and imaginative communications strategy for New Music USA, promoting key messages and activities to advance the organization’s mission and strategic goals.
This new post will introduce and lead an integrated approach to New Music USA’s communications, working with our development, grantmaking, and editorial staff to strengthen external and internal communications. This includes clear strategies for the development of our website, social media communications, brand consistency, and marketing of funding opportunities and events. Digital communications will be key, including the development of our online magazine and collaboration with our community to regularly share information that supports, informs and advocates for the creators and organizations we are here to help.
This postholder will also contribute to New Music USA’s success by working closely with our Development Director on our annual campaign, publications, events, and board liaison.
Specific roles and responsibilities include:
- Designs, develops, and leads the implementation of communication strategy to promote, enhance, and define the organization’s mission, values, core messages, program activities, and development goals
- Leads New Music USA’s brand strategy to achieve a cohesive presence across print, social media platforms, website, email, and more
- Develops and oversees an integrated and inspiring digital strategy, including promotion of existing and new platforms such as podcasts and media partnerships
- Leads planning and delivery of all communications activities, defining appropriate and effective ways of working with colleagues across different New Music USA programs
- Responsible for consistency in design, branding, and tone of digital and printed materials across all New Music USA communications
- Leads New Music USA’s online presence and social media engagement, including oversight of website and digital communications with the artistic community, grantees, partners, stakeholders, and other key target groups
- Increases distribution of online resources, including NewMusicBox content
- Supervises regular email communication, including monthly newsletters and campaigns
- Works with grants and development team to implement new database solutions for the benefit of the whole team
- Manages communications budget
Public Relations and Development
- Supports New Music USA’s fundraising and events strategies, including the 10th anniversary in 2021; annual campaigns; publications; strategies for regular stakeholder mailings
- Leads relationship with and manages contracts with PR consultants (when finances permit)
- Develops relationships with local, national, and international media, shaping New Music USA messaging, managing media requests, and actively seeking coverage for the full range of activity
- Crafts public information materials, such as press releases, fact sheets, op-eds, and decks
- Provides copy editing support, as needed
- Coordinates press releases and announcements internally and externally, including regular work with program partners and participants
- Monitors and analyzes data and communicates progress on a regular basis
- Liaise regularly with Board, Program, and Advisory Councils to ensure wide sharing of information on current New Music USA activities and recipients, engaging all stakeholders as ambassadors
- Leads internal communications, developing staff’s role in communications
- Contributes to senior leadership team
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 7 years’ experience and outstanding track record in music, arts, public interest, and/or nonprofit communications
- Demonstrates strong organizational and leadership skills with the ability to prioritize tasks, meet multiple deadlines, and work independently
- Passion for brand strategy and management, including ability to inspire and guide others in embracing an organization’s brand and profile building
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, with experience of supporting development and programmatic goals
- Collaborative team player; effectively leads staff teams
- Excellent editing, writing, and proofreading skills
- Digital-first storyteller that can craft messages for all platforms and switch
seamlessly between them
- Working knowledge of relevant software packages including WordPress, Photoshop, Adobe, Mailchimp, Co-Schedule/Google Analytics.
- Strong knowledge of web design
- Understanding of nonprofits and philanthropy
- Experience in navigating and contributing to organizational change
- Experience in events management
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Passionate about music and the mission of New Music USA
- Ability to lead an organization-wide plan and deliver day-to-day tasks
- Positive, enthusiastic, and persuasive team player
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- Enjoys digital communications and out of the box thinking
- Willing to dedicate time and creativity to special projects and new initiatives
- Motivated to network socially & build relationships, including to support development/ PR
- Thrives under pressure while carrying out tasks with accuracy and efficiency
- Professional, courteous manner, high energy, and an eager, positive attitude
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion and belief in our values of imagination, connectivity, empowerment, inclusivity, and trust.
Compensation: New Music USA is offering a competitive salary for a non-profit organization of our size ($70-$80k) and a generous benefits package, including 100 percent employer-paid health insurance, dental insurance, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Hiring Process: New Music USA has embarked on a new strategic plan with equity, diversity, and inclusion as an overarching strategic priority. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC candidates.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for this role to Ricky Tyler – firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Communications Director Application. Please also include details of 3 references (we will not contact references before asking your permission to do so). The deadline for applications is Wednesday, May 5th at 5 p.m. Eastern. We will review applications as we receive them. We will not consider applications without a cover letter.