OPERA America has announced the latest recipients of commissioning grants from the Opera Grants for Female Composers program. A total of $98,000 was awarded to the following companies to support the commissioning of five projects:
- Beth Morrison Projects (New York, NY) for Adoration by Mary Kouyoumdjian
- On Site Opera (New York, NY) for Lady Murasaki and the Tale of Genji (working title) by Michi Wiancko
- Opera on Tap (New York, NY) for Looking at You by Kamala Sankaram
- Opera Philadelphia for Ashes (working title) by Jennifer Higdon
- Washington National Opera for Taking Up Serpents by Kamala Sankaram
These grants, which were awarded by an independent adjudication panel, provide funds that cover up to 50 percent of each composer’s commissioning fee.
Opera Grants for Female Composers promote the development of works by women, and raise the visibility of women writing for the operatic medium. The program consists of two granting components: Discovery Grants of up to $15,000 that are awarded directly to female composers to advance new works; and Commissioning Grants of up to $50,000 that are awarded to opera companies for commissions by female composers. Since its inception, the program has awarded a total of $898,000 to opera companies and composers.